There is no hiding that I have a sweet tooth. It probably developed when I was a little girl and I was spoiled by my paternal grandparents who owned a bakery in Inglewood called Mr. Pastry. They would always bring over tasty, sugary desserts in pink boxes and some of their famous treats included apple strudle, cheese danishes, and cookies the size of my face. Anyways, I try to put a healthy twist on sweets, and I think this vegan chocolate granola delivers an indulgent breakfast treat or snack packed with lots of nutritious ingredients including coconut oil, chia seeds, walnuts, and cacao nibs.
1. 2 cups of rolled oats
2. 1/2 cups of walnuts – I have a lot of fun cracking fresh ones, but use whatever you have around
3. 1/4 cup chocolate chips or chocolate pieces from a bar (I use vegan, but use whatever you like)
4. 1/4 cup chia seeds
5. 1/2 cup maple syrup
6. 2 tbsp coconut oil
7. 1.5 tbsp cacao powder
8. sea salt
9. vanilla extract – a couple drops
11. 1/4 cup of cacao nibs (usually found in raw food section of health food stores)
1. Preheat over to 300 degrees.
2. Cover a baking pan with aluminum foil
3. In a bowl, mix the following dry ingredients: rolled oat + walnuts + chocolate chips or pieces
4. In a small saucepan,heat coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla extra, sea salt until melted.
5. Pour hot mixture over dry ingredients and mix until well coated. Sprinkle with cinnamon and a little more sea salt.
6. Spread on a baking sheet and bake for about 30 minutes
7. Once done, add chia seeds and cacao nibs
8. Store in airtight container or eat it immediately after it cools