I’ve always loved Medjool dates. Growing up in the Westwood area of Los Angeles where there is a sizable Persian community and many Middle Eastern grocery stores, my dad would always stock our house with the largest, moistest Medjool dates. Medjool dates are sweet enough on their own, but to take their decadence to the next level for an over the top sweet treat, I decided to stuff them w/ nut butter and coat them in chocolate. The result is an indulgent yet healthy(ish) sweet treat that I think is best enjoyed with coffee or espresso as an afternoon pick me up. They’re easy to make, look fancy and would be nice as a homemade gift as well. Enjoy!
Servings: 6 dates
- 6 medjool dates
- Almond butter or nut butter of your choice – about 1-2 tbspn
- 1/2 cup of chocolate chips/ chunks or bar – I used vegan brand Hu chocolate gems
- Optional toppings: Coconut shreds, nuts, cacao nibs, sea salt
- Open each medjool date and stuff it with nut butter as pictured below
- Put the stuffed dates in freezer for 10-15 minutes
- In a small saucepan on low heat, heat the chocolate and stir frequently. You should get a delicious melted chocolate in just about 1 minute.
- Line a plate or container with parchment paper
- With a fork (or with you hand but careful as the chocolate is hot), dip each stuffed date until it’s fully coated in the chocolate and place on parchment paper.
- Coat with toppings of your choice such as any nut, coconut shreds, seeds, cacao nibs etc.
- Place in fridge for 10-15 minutes for chocolate to set.