My husband has been growing some fresh basil in whisky barrel planters he made, and the abundant basil that was ready to use inspired this recipe. I have made raw vegan cashew dips before, but almost always made either a classic garlic or red pepper version and this was my first time experimenting with an herb forward flavor profile. The creamy cashew base + fresh & herbaceous basil complement each other beautifully. This dip / sauce is very easy to make and can be used in so many ways — as a dip for veggies/ chips / crackers, as a pasta sauce on classic pasta or zoodles or even just eaten by the spoonful.
- 1 cup of raw cashews
- 1 cup of fresh basil
- 1-2 garlic cloves (1 if large, 2 if smaller or if you like more garlic flavor in general)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup of nutritional yeast (I used Foods Alive version since it is totally soy free)
- Himalayan Sea Salt – adjust amount to your liking. I add about 5 generous sprinkles to start and then adjust as I taste.
- Soak the cashews in a bowl of water for at least 2 hours
- Once the cashews are soaked, drain the water and add the cashews to the food processor followed by all the ingredients. Process until smooth and creamy. Play around until you get the flavor to your desired liking: If you’d like it to be even more creamy, slowly add a bit more oil and / or water. If you’d like it to be even more ‘cheesy’ add some more nutritional yeast.
- Suggested optional toppings:
- Sprinkle some hemp seeds
- Add a swirl of olive oil
- Add some other chopped fresh herbs on top including basil, cilantro, etc.