I’ve been a bit intimidated by making raw vegan crackers but this was easier than I thought. I used already ground up flax seeds as the base and flavored them with beautiful heirloom tomatoes from Fully Belly farms and some Trader Joe’s sundried tomatoes infused in olive oil. I tend to like things crunchy so I dehydrated them for 12 hours until they became cracker-like (still somewhat on the softer/chewier side), though if you would like it to have more bread-like texture, you can pull them from the dehydrator after 8 hours. These are best topped with something like avocado or pesto which balances the crackers nicely.
1. 1 cup of ground flax seeds
2. Optional: 1/4 cup of other seeds of your choice – I used hemp (you can use sesame, pumpkin, sunflower, etc.)
3. 1 small heirloom tomato, chopped
4. 1/4 cup sundried tomatoes packed in oil
5. a few basil sprigs
6. 1 garlic clove chopped
7. 1 tbsp olive oil
8. Sea salt – as much as you like
1. Line dehydrator trays with parchment paper
2. Place all ingredients in food processor and process until it turns into a doughy consistency
3. Evenly spread the dough on parchment (spatula helps!)
4. Dehydrate at 110 degrees for 4 hours. Remove from tray and cut into sizes you like. Remove parchment paper, flip over and dehydrate 4-8 more hours until you get the consistency you like.
Serving suggestions: Top with pesto and sundried tomatoes, hummus or avocado 🙂