Here’s an easy, healthy fall inspired breakfast that spotlights one of my favorite fruits– the Fuyu persimmon. When cooked into the oatmeal, the persimmon takes on a sweet, warm, almost melted consistency that really lights up the oatmeal.
Ingredients (for one serving – multiply as needed for more):
1. 1 cup of water
2. pinch of salt
3. 1/2 cup of rolled oats (I use Bob’s Red Mill Extra Thick whole grain)
4. 1/2 Fuyu persimmon, chopped into small pieces
5. Cinnamon sprinkles
6. 1 heaping tablespoon of honey
7. Optional: Diced bananas, walnuts, or whatever extra toppings you like
1. Boil water with salt
2. Once boiling, add the oats and persimmon, and bring to a lower boil for about 15 minutes or until fully cooked
3.Add the honey and cinnamon sprinkles. Stir well.
4. Add whatever additional toppings you like.Enjoy!
Today I’m doing a double workout day – bar method and a run – so wanted a pre-workout smoothie to power through. Persimmons are one of my favorite fruits, and while they are perfect to eat raw, they also taste grate blended up in a smoothie. They are chalk full of fiber and vitamins so in addition to tasting delicious they are a sweet treat for the body too. This simple smoothie has only six ingredients and you can make it quickly for morning fuel on the go.
1. 1 cup vanilla soymilk (almond milk would probably work well too)
2. 1 fuyu persimmon, sliced
3. 1 medjool date, chopped
4. 5 walnuts
5. Chia seeds- about 1 tbsp
6. dash of cinammon
Directions: Put all ingredients in blender and blend until desired consistency (I like mine to still be a little chunky so don’t blend until perfectly smooth).