Today I was feeling in the mood to make something extra colorful. Beets never disappoint in the color department so I took my beloved spiralizer (best new kitchen tool of 2014) and made curly beets and apples, chopped up some carrots, and threw some dried sour cherries and freshly crushed walnuts on top. Then I mixed together a quick dressing with olive oil, Meyer lemon, coconut sugar, salt and pepper.
1. 1-2 medium beets
2. 1 apple (I used granny smith but you can use whatever varietals you have)
3. 1 carrot or a few baby carrots, chopped
4. handful of walnuts
5. handful of raisins or dried cherries
1. 2 tbsp olive oil
2. 1/4 Meyer lemon (or regular works too)
3. 1 tsp coconut sugar or honey
4. salt + pepper to taste
1. Peel beet and apple
2. Place beet and apple through spiralizer to create thin spirals. Place in bowl.
3. Top with chopped carrots, walnuts and raisins or dried cherries.
4. Mix together dressing and drizzle on top of salad.
Note: This recipe was inspired by, though significantly adapted from, “Raw Beet Slaw” recipe in Roots cookbook (a really beautiful cookbook for those who want to explore cooking with root veggies).