Humility aside, I think this is my best granola yet. And granola is my thing – you know that one dish you are awesome at making pretty much every single time. What makes this a standout is (1) the layered chocolate flavor coming from a triple hit of cacao from the raw cacao powder, cacao nibs and semi-sweet chocolate chunks, and (2) the extra crunchy pop of texture from the quinoa puffs. Sure it’s more dessert than breakfast, but you do get an antioxidant power up from all the cacao, sustained energy from the oats, and the mct benefits of coconut oil – not to mention the joy from enjoying something so delicious. Dive in!
- Rolled oats – 2 cups
- Quinoa – 1/3 cup
- Coconut sugar – 1/3 cup
- Coconut oil – 1/2 cup
- Raw cacao powder – 1 tbsp
- Sea salt
- Cacao nibs – 1 tbsp
- Semi-sweet chocolate chunks (I like Enjoy Life brand) – 1/3 cup
- Pre-heat oven to 320 and line a large baking tray with parchment paper
- In a large mixing bowl, add the rolled oats, quinoa and coconut sugar
- Separately, in a small saucepan, combine the coconut oil and cacao powder and warm over low heat until melted and combined (about 1 minute)
- Pour the coconut / cacao mixture into the large bowl with oats, quinoa and coconut sugar and stir well to combine. Add a sprinkle of sea salt. Taste the mixture dry and adjust to your liking – you may want to add a hint more coconut sugar if you want it sweeter.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes
- Once cool, top with cacao nibs and chocolate chunks and enjoy